Maisy has been practicing as a Speech Language Therapist for 11 years. She was amongst the pioneer batch of graduates from Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s Specialist Diploma in Early Childhood Education Program in 2002. She graduated from Flinders University of South Australia with a Bachelors in Speech Pathology in 2006. Maisy is currently registered under the Allied Healths Professions Council.
In 2007, Maisy embarked her journey as a Speech Language Therapist at the Department of Child Development at KKH (KKDCD). There, she developed a strong foundation in treating speech and language disorders in children under 7 years of age. While working with non-English speaking parents and caregivers in the course of her work, Maisy recognized the need to increase awareness and education for this population. This spurred her to develop large group Caregiver Training workshops for early language stimulation and facilitating articulation skills in Mandarin. Being no stranger to the preschool environment, Maisy was also actively involved in the Therapy Outreach Program, a joint community project between DCD and PCF preschools, where she assessed and treated preschoolers in Seng Kang.
In 2009, Maisy decided to move out of her comfort zone and expand on her clinical skills by joining the Speech Therapy Department at Singapore General Hospital (SGH). Maisy worked with a mixed caseload, consisting of adults and children. Maisy started treating complex pediatric cases, working with children ranging from 18 months to 18 years of age. This was when she found her niche in the area of behaviour management.
Maisy was the Team Leader for the SGH Paediatrics Speech Therapy Team, when she left SGH. She was actively involved in clinical mentoring and a consultant to other Speech Therapists in areas of paediatric assessments, interventions and behaviour management of complex cases. Maisy was also actively involved in joint clinics with doctors, where she provided assessments for at-risk children who were born premature.
Maisy’s areas of specialty and skills:
- Children’s speech and language delays/ disorders (age 18 months to 18 years of age)
- Social communication impairments in children (up to 18 years of age)
- Behavior management (up to 18 years of age)
Maisy is trained in:
- Hanen Program – It Takes Two to Talk
- Hanen Program – More Than Words
- Hanen Program – Talkability
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Assessment and Development of Social Skills – Alex Kelly
- Picture Exchange Communication Systems ( PECS )
- Social Thinking
- PROMPT – Prompts for restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets
- Sara Rosenfield-Johnson’s Oral Placement Therapy