Feeding & Swallowing
We offer feeding and swallowing therapy for children and adults with feeding and dysphagia. We see infants (as young as newborns or premature infants after being discharged from hospital), to children, preschoolers, school-age children and the whole age range including adults and the elderly.
A Speech Therapist and/or Dietitian will assess your child or the adult’s feeding and swallowing.
During your first visit, we will:
- Get detailed history of your child/adult’s medical condition, development and concerns.
- Physical examination of your child/adult’s mouth and overall body movements.
- Observe and assess your child/adult feeding on the food and drink that are normally offered at home
- Observe and assess caregivers feeding your child or the adult.
- Intervene to trial any strategies that may help with the feeding process.
Treatment varies depending on your child and families’ presentation. The frequency and number of sessions will depend on the severity of your child’s feeding difficulty. This will all be discussed in collaboration with the family. During therapy sessions, caregivers or family members are encouraged to participate, as it is expected that families carry out the intervention in the home environment for best outcomes.read more