Introduction to Neuro-Developmental Treatment, Singapore, 2024
Introduction to Neuro-Developmental Treatment, Singapore, 2024
Ms Kim Barthel (OTR)
Workshop is suitable for beginner and experienced clinicians:
Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Early Intervention Teachers, Special Needs Teachers, Behavioural Therapists, Therapy Assistants, Psychologists, Physicians.
For queries, email us at email@example.com or contact us via WhatsApp at +65 87773171.
6th to 8th November 2023 11th to 13th January 2024
TIME : Singapore Time 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
VENUE : Singapore, In-person workshop for participants in Singapore; online LIVE workshop for overseas participants.
FEES* apply for in-person and Online LIVE workshop:
Group of 2 or more (Early bird before
24th February 2023 EXTENDED TO 1st July 2023) – SGD 1150
Individual (Early bird before
24th February 2023 EXTENDED TO 1st July 2023) – SGD 1230
Group of 2 or more (Regular Fee, from
24th February 2023 1st July 2023 onwards) – SGD 1310
Individual (Regular Fee, from
24th February 2023 1st July 2023) – SGD 1390
VCF Funding is being applied**.
* Additional charges may apply for certain modes of payment. Refer to registration form for details.
VCF Funding – Pre-approved at 30% PCG funding**
**Terms and conditions apply.
For full payment details, please refer to this page: Click here
Registration will only be confirmed after completion of the online registration form and when full payment has been received. Your place at the workshop will not be reserved otherwise. You will receive an email to confirm registration.
Please register here: https://tinyurl.com/NDTregform. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp us at +65 87773171 should you have any queries.
This course is designed to introduce professionals supporting children with posture and movement challenges to the Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT) approach. NDT is a hands-on intervention and frame of reference that supports the learning of movement within daily living function. NDT is developmentally-informed, requiring an understanding of anatomy and the biomechanics of typical motor development. Through this understanding, professionals will learn to analyze movement and clinically reason what movement compensations can arise in their clients across the lifespan. This three-day course will include assessment and treatment of clients through video analysis and live in-person demonstrations with volunteer participants. This course provides professionals with the foundations of learning that informs them of the importance of movement and posture, and prepares them for further training in direct handling skills.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the importance of posture and movement in functions of mobility, speech, feeding, social engagement, learning and daily living function.
- Describe the foundational principles of Neuro-Developmental Treatment.
- Summarize the biomechanics, anatomy, and kinematics of typical development ages birth to 1 year.
- Appreciate, from a transdisciplinary perspective, how the analysis of typical motor development informs our understanding of posture and movement across the lifespan.
- Identify movement compensations and multi-system impairments in the motor control of those with Neurodiversity.
- Analyze the facilitation of posture and movement through videotape demonstrations.
- Develop introductory handling skills through group practical opportunities with other participants.
Movement science research indicates that we learn movements within a functional context. Children with neurodiversity of a wide variety of diagnosis experience posture and movement challenges as an aspect of their functional differences. NDT is a frame of reference based upon the science of anatomy, kinesiology, biomechanics, motor control, motor learning and neurobiology. Through hands-on feedback, the therapist provides sensory cues that help muscle synergies to develop in a more efficient manner through attention to postural alignment, base of support, activation of motor synergies and the reduction of movement compensations. Therapists develop clinical reasoning and analysis skills through an in-depth knowledge of the biomechanics of typical motor development. This introductory course acquaints participants with the foundations of this knowledge and principles of practice as is applied to mobility, communication, learning and function.
This learning day will focus upon the foundations of NDT and the application across disciplines and within multiple daily living functions. Introduction to postural control through analysis of trunk, ribcage and breath will be highlighted through videotape analysis and live demonstration on participant volunteers.
- Introduction to the principles of NDT.
- Videotape demonstration of treatment.
- Importance of posture and movement in functions of mobility, speech, feeding, social engagement, learning and daily living function.
- Core stability, rib cage and breath. (lecture, demonstration and video analysis).
This learning day will emphasize typical motor development biomechanics.
- Analysis of typical motor development to support development and maintenance of posture and movement across the lifespan.
- Continued analysis of typical motor development (lecture, video and demonstration).
An understanding of movement compensations observed in our clients and introductory handling and treatment principles will be introduced.
- Analyze movement compensations as seen in our clients (lecture, video and demonstration).
- Introductory handling through group participation.
Kim Barthel (OTR)
Kim Barthel is an occupational therapist, multi-disciplinary teacher, mentor and best-selling author who is active in supporting people in many contexts globally. She is passionate about understanding neurobiology, movement, complex behaviour, sensory processing, traumasensitive practice, attachment and mental health. An advanced NDT instructor and international speaker on a range of topics, Kim has 38+ years of practice in helping people to be their best selves. Kim has contributed to a number of textbooks related to Pediatric Occupational Therapy and NDT, and in 2019 Kim was honoured to receive the Award of Merit from the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapy. Kim’s overall mission is to support the conscious evolution of the human spirit. www.kimbarthel.ca
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Email us at email@example.com or contact us via WhatsApp at +65 87773171.
Register here: https://tinyurl.com/NDTregform.